MENTAL HEALTH RESOURCES FOR BLACK PEOPLE
If stress, anxiety, fear, loneliness or sadness is interfering with your ability to sleep, connect with friends or family members, or complete essential tasks, it’s time to reach out for help. Asking for support is a sign of strength and an important part of getting through the difficult days.
If you or someone you know need help immediately, text START to 741-741 or call 1-800-273-TALK 2355) for a free, confidnetial chat with a trained counselor 24/7.
HAVE A FREE, CONFIDENTIAL CHAT WITH A TRAINED COUNSELOR 24/7
- The trained team at Crisis Text Line are there if you or someone you know are struggling with anxiety, depression, concerns about overuse of drugs or alcohol, hopelessness, abuse or thoughts of suicide. Simply text START to 741-741 anytime to start your live, confidential chat.
- Need to talk to someone now? The Lifeline has trained counselors available 24/7 if you’re worried about yourself or a friend. Call 1-800-273-TALK (8255) anytime to get started.
- The Trevor Project offers a national 24-hour, toll free, confidential support line for LGBTQ youth. If you’re feeling hopeless or struggling because of issues related to your sexuality, discrimination or note being accepted by friends or family members, you can connect with a counselor via phone, chat or text. Learn more.
SCHEDULE A TELE-THERAPY SESSION WITH A COUNSELOR
- If you are currently working with a therapist or counselor, many are offering to do sessions via phone or video chat. Reach out to your mental health professional to learn more. Here are some tips for getting the most out of teletherapy.
There are Federally Qualified Health Centers (FQHCs) across the country that provide mental health services and many are now offering tele-counseling. They will help you, even if you have no health insurance. You pay what you can afford, based on your income. Use the health center locator tool to search for a health center by address, state, or county.
- There are a number of established online therapy platforms where you can pay a weekly or monthly fee for access to a therapist via phone, messaging or video chat. Talk Space offers packages starting at $65 a week (Get $65 off with code APPLY65) and BetterHelp offers packages from $40 to $70 per week.